When the UK exits from the EU on December 31m 2020, Britain shall be demoted to a 3rd nation and can now not be eligible for EU perks.
On the brilliant aspect Britons will be capable of declare a VAT refund on their retail purchases made in Portugal, ranging from 1st January 2021.
Greater than 2.1 million UK vacationers visited Portugal in 2019 and collectively spent €79 million together with on clothes and accessories.
Costs in Portgual are on common 5 to 10 per cent cheaper than the UK. Add Tax-free buying and you can come again with a bargan
With the worth of products in Portugal being on common 5-10 per cent cheaper than within the UK, mixed with the extra financial savings supplied by tax-free buying, the shopping for energy of UK consumers in Portugal is ready to extend by as much as 20 per cent making a win-win scenario for each retailers and consumers.
How does Tax-Free Buying work for UK residents visiting Portugal?
British residents from England, Scotland and Wales shall be categorised as non-EU residents and shall be topic to the identical eligibility standards as another tax-free buying nationality. This implies tax-free perks apply.
To be eligible you should:
- Reside in England, Scotland or Wales. British nationals residing in Northern Eire, or inside the EU are usually not eligible to buy tax-free in Portugal. Proof of residency is required.
- Meet the minimal spend standards of €50+VAT
- Export the unused items outdoors of the EU inside a three-month interval.
- Tax-free consumers from the UK might want to present their passport along with a separate doc offering proof of handle, to substantiate they reside in England, Scotland of Wales.
- As soon as eligibility is decided, British tax-free consumers will comply with the standard means of finishing a tax-free kind, which shall be validated at customs once they depart the EU (earlier than they return to the UK).