On a Sunday afternoon, Dave Sharp wanted to help his four-year old daughter, Emily, practice her handwriting. She would bring home worksheets from school with dotted letters for her to trace. Some of the worksheets looked like they had been copied a hundred times. So Dave decided to create a few of his own practice sheets with dotted letters that would be more personalized for Emily.
After trying to create a couple of words, Dave found that making dotted letters by hand was tedious, time-consuming and not very fun. He thought there must be some software available that would print dotted letters so educators and parents could create handwriting worksheets. After looking for a while, Dave was unable to find any. Then came the idea for Startwrite Handwriting Software. When he asked several friends who were teachers what they thought of the idea, they didn’t just say it was a good idea or that it would be nice to have, they were ecstatic about it. They wanted to buy it from him right then and there, but it was still just an idea. So Dave designed the features and the layout of Startwrite and created the dotted fonts. However, his partner, Wayne Wylie, is the brains behind Startwrite. Wayne’s tireless programming efforts have made Dave’s dream a reality.
Today, Startwrite, the Handwriting Worksheet Wizard will help teachers, homeschoolers, and parents create handwriting lessons quickly and easily. Startwrite saves hours in lesson preparation time, yet allows you to easily create fun, meaningful worksheet to teach handwriting. Startwrite lets you focus on your child’s needs and interests instead of dots and dots and more dots. We are excited to make Startwrite available to everyone who wants to teach handwriting to their child or student and save time doing it.
Spice up your worksheets. Robust design tools make editing easier, and put you in control of color, size and graphic elements, from borders to clip art.
- Grid: Grid view helps you to align Text and Art Boxes on the screen, but doesn’t show up in the printed version.
- Flowing Text: Lets content flow from one Text Box to another.
- Border Art: Put fun, bright borders around the box, or add a picture associated with the letter or word the child is practicing.
- Area Highlight: Now you can highlight any or all of the three writing areas–bottom, middle, and top–in any color or shade of gray.
- Color everywhere: You can also change the color of almost any element on the page. Green arrows? Red guidelines? Make your worksheets sparkle!
- Choose Handwriting Fonts including Manuscript (similar to Zaner-Bloser™), Manuscript-Simple (similar to Zaner-Bloser™, Simplified), Modern Manuscript (similar to D’Nealian™) and Italic (similar to Getty-Dubay™ or Portland Italic), PLMR (Similar to Palmer™), HWOT Similar to Handwriting Without Tears™), VIC (Victoria – Australia), QLD (Queensland – Australia), NSW (New South Wales – Australia), Clocks Font, Money Font, Math Font 1 and Math Font 2.
- Use Cursive Fonts that correspond to the above-mentioned educational fonts, for the advanced student.
- Expand Font Sizes anywhere from 1/4″ to as big as the page.
- Choose Shading of Fonts from Dark to Light for all levels of learners.
- Choose From Four Guide Line Options: Top, Middle, Bottom and Descender. Change any line to solid or dashed and colors to red, black or blue.
- Type dotted, dashed, or solid letters.
- Stroke Arrows for proper letter formation.
- Clip Art Included or import your own JPG or BMP clip art to make pages fun…
- Print Worksheets on Plain Paper from your own printer–no hassle and no expensive special paper needed.
- Print in Landscape or Portrait for your convenience and creativity.
- Custom Lessons are included (or can be downloaded free from Homepage) for quick and easy lesson preparation time.
- Use Startwrite’s other Standard Word Processing Functions like cut, copy, paste, new, open, save, print, zoom, etc. for extra ease in preparation.
- Utilize 100,000-Word Spell Checker for accurate worksheet preparation.
- Save Lessons for future use to create your own curriculum in minutes, and save time and effort when repeating lessons.
- Use Spanish and Math Fonts* for even more learning potential.
- Create a Variety of Pages like phonics pages, spelling pages, a letter to a friend, scrapbook pages, etc. for more practice and fun while learning handwriting.
- And much more.